Fun for history buffs includes visiting the local cemeteries and museums to do some "time travel" into the past.
Skiatook is known as "The Gateway to the Osage." The Skiatook Museum is a gateway into the past through time moving forward to a rich and prosperous future.
The Skiatook Museum was established thanks to the people who kept mementos, scrapbooks, pictures, letters, and artifacts; such as C. H. Cleveland and Mrs. G. B. Epperson, who left the book "Skiatook 1872 to 1921."
The Skiatook Historical Society was organized in April of 1976. The goal of the members was to preserve the interesting history of Skiatook from its beginning to the present time.
|In 1988, after 5 moves, the Skiatook Museum moved into the home of pioneer doctor W. G. Phillips. The home, built in 1912, contained his office. In 1910, Dr. Phillips settled in Skiatook and served the community for 50 years. His medical diploma and college graduation picture are on display at the museum.
The Skiatook Museum made Dr. Phillips' house its permanent home with the aid of the Oklahoma Historical Society, including grants to refurbish the house and set up display areas within its walls.
The museum board conducted a successful building fund campaign in 1999 and completed an addition to the home which has added much needed space for the display of local historical documents, as well as furniture and other household items of the town's pioneers.
Historians, students and all those looking for their family tree, who are searching for Skiatook's past can view the personal papers, documents and photographs of the town's pioneer families, events and places at the museum. Also provided is a microfilm reader to enable visitors to research into newspapers dating back to April of 1905, the date the first newspaper in town began publishing.
Stop in for some "time travel" ...The Skiatook museum is 1/2 block south of Rogers Blvd / Hwy 20. Call for hours.
- by Snowhawk; Appreciation for information provided by the Skiatook Historical Society & the Skiatook Journal.